Tuesday, February 15, 2011

IHP DT Challenge: Inspired by a Story

This month Deb, our design team challenge coordinator, assigned us the task of making a card or project that was inspired by a story. My card is inspired by the Jules Verne story “Around the World in 80 Days,” which was first published in 1873. It was made into an Academy Award winning movie with David Niven in 1956, and again in 2004 with Jackie Chan. As far as I’m concerned, the second one didn’t count. It was also adapted many times and many ways for stage, screen and TV. But anyway…80-daysThe story is about an English man, Phileas Fogg, and his French valet, who set out to circumvent the globe in 80 days on a bet, using whatever means of transportation is available. In the original book there was no hot air balloon involved, but the 1956 movie added that element and all adaptations after that kept it in.

I used the Unity stamp set Itty Bitty Adventurous for this, along with paper from Kaiser Craft’s Up, Up and Away pad. Both are currently available at i {heart} papers (of course), although in very limited quantity. It was stamped with Palette Cocoa ink and colored with Copic markers (BG11, YR20, YR24) to coordinate with the background paper. The aqua dewdrops are from my stash.

Now go take a look at what the rest of the design team came up with:

Cathleen
Deb
Gretchen
Kendra
Loretta
Lori
Lynn
Megan
Tracy
Kate

We’d love to see what YOU can make that’s inspired by a story. If you make something, please post it in the PCP or SCS gallery with the keyword “ihp0211” so we can find it.

Wishing you your own great adventure,

CMsignature

10 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

Yeah...well done Carolyn. This was a tough challenge, but you pulled it off wonderfully. Lovely images and it totally reminds me of the movie that inspired you for this card. Love it!

Deb said...

Love this, Carolyn! It's gorgeous! Made me smile too, because the club where I met my husband is called Phineas Fogg's (all decorated w/ hot air balloons), in a complex called Seville Square, which has 5 areas each with a different kind of music. Fun memories!

Megan said...

What a fun image! I really like the dp you picked out too. :)

i {heart} papers said...

You nailed it! Great job!

Cathleen said...

Oh Wow! This is fantastic, I love your awesome image and fab colors and DP!

Gretchen said...

Awesome! Love this (and thanks for the little literary lesson too :)!

whoistracy said...

Totally cute! You know, I was going to use the story "James and the Giant Peach" for my inspiration but opted for something different. Glad I did because I would have went the hot air balloon way, too. LOL

Kendra said...

Very cool ~ I love your inspiration and your piece. Great job!

LorettaL said...

Brilliant! I love it, Carolyn!! Your hot air balloons ROCK!

Lori said...

Fabulous! Love the image and papers together.