Friday, July 1, 2011

Holy Macarons!

plated-dozen These little Parisian nuggets of decadence, made of ground almonds, egg whites and sugar, are all the rage in NYC now. I’ve heard nothing but how difficult they are to make, so of course I had to give it a try. And because it is the way I am, I researched the topic to death! Read every blog, every recipe, every tip sheet that I could lay my hands on that had anything to do with macarons over the last week.

Tonight, after aging my egg whites for 48 hours, I screwed up my courage and gave it a go. After lots of measuring, weighing, sifting and beating, the results are better than I expected for my first time. Slightly browned (they aren’t supposed to be), and slightly chewier than I think they should be, they are nonetheless BEAUTIFUL to me. Look at those dainty little frilly feet! closeupThey are filled with seedless raspberry jam. And for all that work, I only got ONE DOZEN out of it.

They’re supposed to get better, taste and texturewise, after aging a day or two.

Somehow I don’t think I’m gonna find out.

CMsignature

No comments: