Glowing lights are something that all of the upcoming holidays have in common, whether you’re celebrating Christmas, Chanukah or Kwanza, so that’s the theme our Challenge-meister Deb gave us for our challenge this month.
I decided to create a trio of luminaria to meet this challenge. They are all made of heavyweight clear vellum, cut to 3” x 10-1/4” and scored at 2-1/5”, 5”, 7-1/2” and 10”. They’re all trimmed with strips of paper from the Cosmo Cricket Mitten Weather 6x6 pad. But the vellum is decorated using a different technique for each one.
Photographing these was quite a challenge; I wanted to show you how they look when they’re lit from within, so the papers are kind of dark. I used little battery powered fake votives instead of real flame – a lot safer that way, and they even flicker! There are actually 2 little lights inside each of these to provide more dramatic light. I found a 6-pack of them at Walgreen’s for $5.
For this last one, I ran the vellum through my Big Shot with the Vine embossing folder, although any embossing folder would be beautiful. Here’s a hint, though. Score and pre-fold your vellum before you emboss it. Depending on the vellum you’re using, it may crack if you try to fold it after it’s embossed. Ask me how I know…
If you’d like to make your own, please leave me a link – I’d love to see! Now go check out the rest of the design team’s blogs to see what they came up with for this glowing challenge.
Have a great day!