Saturday, May 5, 2012

Happy National Scrapbooking Day


Yes, it’s a lot of things today: Cinco de Mayo, The Kentucky Derby, the biggest moon of the year. But it’s also National Scrapbooking Day, something else that I generally just give passing acknowledgement to, since I don’t really consider myself a scrapbooker.

This year, though, as I realized that it’s almost Mother’s Day, I found myself thinking about gathering some photos of me and my mom and trying to do something with them. My mom’s been gone for 14 years now, but there’s a connection there that cannot be broken by time. Or anything else.
I decided to do a digital page and finally play around with some of the things I’ve downloaded over the years. I don’t have any special digital scrapbooking software, just Photoshop, so this is kind of plain since I really have no idea what I’m doing.

The photos span many decades – the first in the 50s, the second in the 70s, and the last in the 90s, not long before we lost her. In fact, I think it might have actually been the last Mother’s Day we had together. I know it was some kind of holiday where my sister gave me that scarf I’m wearing.

Anyhow, enough of memory lane for now. It’s making me a little weepy. I have officially acknowledged National Scrapbooking Day, and I’m rather proud of myself…





No comments: