Tuesday, August 16, 2011

IHP DT August Challenge: Beat the Heat!

In many parts of the country, or the western hemisphere for that matter, August is the hottest, stickiest month of the year. This year in particular, we’ve had an especially brutal summer. So our challenge this month was to create a card/project using COOL colors and/or few layers.

I went for the cool colors, but actually ended up with a little more layering than I usually do. Overall, I think I ended up with a pretty cool card!
IHPaug11dt To begin with, I chose my patterned paper from the Basic Grey 6x6 pad Eskimo Kisses (it doesn’t get much cooler than that!). The branch and bird cage are from the Ashley’s Blooms set by My Cute Stamps. I stamped the cage and the sentiment (from an old Hero Arts set in my stash) in Memento London Fog to keep the cool feeling going. I outlined the branch with my Copic Marker BG11 to give the impression of the sky without coloring the whole thing, and to set off the white of the blossoms. The white lacy strip is some Basic Grey self-adhesive paper ribbon, also from my stash. The bird cage is popped up on Sticky Thumbs dimensional dots for some added depth.

The layout of the card was taken from this week’s Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge 130, although I did kinda flip it around a little bit to suit the stamps.

If you’d like to play along with our challenge, we’d love to see what you do! Just upload your creation to the SCS or PCP gallery with the keyword “ihp0811” so we can find it.

Now go hop around and see what Kate and the rest of the IHP Design Team came up with for this chilly challenge:

Stay cool!

CMsignature

8 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

Love your cool colors Carolyn, and your blue shading around your branches give it so much dimension. Well done, my friend.

Kendra said...

what a pretty card Carolyn ~ just love those colors.

Gretchen said...

Carolyn- this is one cool card! Love the colors!!

whoistracy said...

Very sweet Carolyn! Love that birdcage, so pretty.

i {heart} papers said...

Eskimo Kisses! I forgot about that! And I have some too. Cute!

Lori said...

This is beautiful, Carolyn! The Eskimo Kisses paper works perfectly for your non-wintery card.

Mad for Paper said...

This is gorgeous. I love the way you traced around the branch. Looks great.
TFS
Ang

Deb said...

Love this, Carolyn! That paper looks gorgeous on your elegant card! How cool to get more "everyday" mileage from a winter paper pack!