Sunday, March 22, 2009

Let them eat cake!

Wow, I've had a very productive weekend — a big change from the sloth-like one I had last week. But then, I knew that the next several weekends would be full of projects and activities, so I was really just resting up (yeah...). This weekend I made a little more than half of the 100 wedding invitations that I'm doing for my daughter's friend. I'll show those to you another time.

But my other project this weekend was this birthday cake for the office. My boss and one of my co-workers have birthdays 2 days apart, so they get to share it. I'm really enjoying my foray into cake decorating, which will culminate in four short weeks with the wedding cake I'm making for my son and soon-to-be daughter-in-law. As a trial recipe run for that cake, this spring-like one is a yellow cake with chocolate hazelnut buttercream filling. It has a light coating of buttercream under the fondant covering. The branches are made of the same chocolate hazelnut filling, just smoothed out with a bit of chocolate syrup, and the flowers are made of gum paste.

Now to go clean up the awful mess in my kitchen. Somehow, no matter how hard I try, I just can't keep ahead of it...

3 comments:

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

Wow! This is so pretty and incredible!

LorettaL said...

Chocolate hazelnut buttercream?!!! I think I need that recipe. What a gorgeous cake creation!

Shelly said...

Wow, this is stunning! Looks yummy too....mmmm