Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Going Green! (IHP March Challenge)

paper-peony-closeupThis month the i {heart} papers design team’s challenge theme is “Going Green” — “green” as in using something reused or recycled on our card or project, with the use of  the color green as an option. OK, more pink than green going on here, but it sings “spring” to me, so I’m happy!

We are also using the sketch challenge that’s going on at Paper Craft Planet this week.sk031310

I looked around my desk area for something that could be recycled into a card element, and my eyes fell upon a few sheets of white tissue paper that had been in a gift box. Now, I don’t know when I got that paper, and I don’t know why I saved it, or why it happened to be sitting right next to my desk, but it seemed like serendipity to me! I could make a tissue paper flower!

So I got out my Nested Peony Nestabilities and cut through several (about 10) layers of the tissue paper. I attached them through the center with a little brad, crumpled them up, airbrushed them with a Copic marker, and got this sweet thing. It reminded me of cherry blossoms, so I pulled out my February Unity Store Kit (which Kate seems to be out of, but I bet she’ll get more if you ask her nicely) and stamped the trees twice in Palette Burnt Umber. I cut it out using one of the Classic Scalloped Rectangle Nestabilities and trimmed three of the sides straight. I matted on a similarly cut piece of pink cardstock. Then I glued some pink Flower Soft onto the trees to make them look like cherry blossoms.spring-trees

I dug through my stash and found a piece of this striped paper from MME’s Penny Lane collection. It had just the right spring-like colors, and the built-in scalloped edge was the perfect complement to the tree panel.

The ribbon was salvaged from my scrap bag – I must have cut it at some point with the intention of using it on a card and changed my mind. And the “spring” came from one of my favorite little Hero Arts stamp sets, Happy Greetings. It always seems to have just the word I’m looking for, and it’s such a fun little typeface!

Supplies from i {heart} papers:
Stamps: Life is Fabulous (Unity), Happy Greetings (HA)
Ink:
Palette Burnt Umber, Copic marker (R83)
Paper:
"Ballet" Free Flowing Stripes (MME)
Other: Nested Peony & Classic Rectangle
Nestabilities, Soft Baby Pink Flower Soft, Sugar Rush glazed brads

Check out what the rest of the IHP Design Team did with this challenge:

Cathleen
Deb
Gretchen
Kate
Kendra
Loretta
Lori
Lynn
Megan
Tracy

We'd love to see what you create too. Upload your project to an online gallery using the keywords ihp0310 and sk031310, or leave us a link to your blog.

Here’s hoping spring, and those cherry blossoms, come along soon – I’ve had more than enough of winter!

CMsignature

11 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

SQUEAL...this is outstandingly beautiful Carolyn. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that paper flower! Awesome job.

Deb said...

Beautiful, Carolyn! I love how soft and feminine this is! That flower is gorgeous!

i {heart} papers said...

Look at that flower! Beautiful!!

Kendra said...

WOW ~ your flower and card are just perfect! Love it!

Gretchen said...

Ooo I remember making those tissue paper flowers (they were like HUGE though!) I'll have to pull out that old trick soon- I love it and the springy look to your trees too! Awesome!

LorettaL said...

Carolyn, this card is so fresh and lovely! That flower is magnificent.

Cathleen said...

Oh Wow Carolyn, this is beautiful, Love your pretty pink flower!

whoistracy said...

Oh I love it!! What a great use of tissue paper!

Lori said...

Fabulous spring card, Carolyn! Love your airbrushed tissue paper flower and as a DC area resident, those cherry blossoms just scream spring to me.

Megan said...

Beautiful flower!

Niki Estes said...

Very pretty! I love the flower soft on the trees and the large flower!