Monday, May 31, 2010

CASEing Cathleen (yet again)

When I feel like creating but feel low on creativity, I head to the many blogs I follow for inspiration. So today I went to my Google Reader  -- a blessing for simplifying my life, as I follow over 250 blogs at this moment -- and selected just the entries that I had “starred” to find something to CASE. Lo and behold, I found (not a surprise) this card by my wonderful and amazingly talented friend Cathleen. She is so often a source of inspiration to me that I should know to just go straight to her blog!

I loved the simplicity and serenity of her card, and of course the butterflies. And I remembered that I had in my stash, from many years ago, a little pack of Japanese washi papers that would work beautifully with this idea. You can’t really tell from the photo, but the centers of the flowers are metallic gold. It’s just gorgeous, and I only had one 6x6 piece of it.

japanese-butterfles Allow me, if you will, to share a few tips I used when making this card.

1) When the paper you’re using is expensive and in short supply, use this trick: cut your layers first, then punch or die-cut your shapes from the part that will be hidden behind another layer. That’s what I did with the butterflies and the large panel.

2) This washi paper is very porous, and its surface does not take well to tape-runner adhesives. Remember the mulberry paper that was so popular several years ago? Like that. So I used Mono Multi liquid adhesive. Worked like a charm.

3) I didn’t want to worry about my greeting having to span different thicknesses of layers that would have been caused by layering the large panel over the smaller one. I trimmed the small layer along the left edge so it could just butt up against the large layer. Voila! – one level surface.

What I used:
Stamps: greeting from Delightful Dahlia (
PTI)
Ink: Memento black
Paper: Japanese washi paper,
PTI white, black, and Spring Moss
Other: butterfly embossing Sizzlet (SU!),
self-adhesive pearl lines (Zva Creative)

Hope all of you here in the U.S. enjoyed your 3-day weekend! Back to the grind tomorrow…

CMsignature

1 comment:

Lynn Mercurio said...

This is beautiful Carolyn, and I know what you mean about Cathleen being a source of inspiration. I love her style and flair. You certainly did a fantastic job with your beautiful butterflies.